Project development commenced in November 2011 and was successfully completed in November 2013. The implementation philosophy adopted involved application of “best of breed” expertise to technically diverse project and discreet elements in order to more effectively manage and minimise technical risk.
This was achieved by dividing the project into the following discrete infrastructure packages:
- CP1: Wet concentrator and mineral separation process plants
- CP2: Port facility including the mineral storage shed and ship loader
- CP3: 14km 132kV power transmission line and terminating substation
- CP4: The Mukurumudzi Dam
- CP5: Tailings storage facility and return water system
- CP6: 8km mine access road and shared facilities
- WP1: Owner’s projects, including mobile mining equipment and bore field
The map below shows the location of the infrastructure components. To view the development history detail of each infrastructure package, click on the labels.
CP1 - Process Plants
The Wet Concentrator Plant ("WCP") and Minerals Separation Plant ("MSP") treat the ore from the mine to first produce heavy minerals concentrate, which is then separated into its constituent minerals - ilmenite, rutile and zircon - in the MSP.
In the WCP the main unit operations include slimes separation and thickening, water recovery and spirals concentration. The MSP comprises feed preparation, electromagnetic ilmenite separation, electrostatic rutile separation and zircon purification. Production storage and load out facilities are also included.
- May 2012 - Earthworks Started
- Sep 2012 - Civils Construction Started
- Jan 2013 - Structural, Mechanical, Piping Construction Started
- Feb 2013 - Electrical & Instrumentation Installation Started
- Jun 2013 - Civils Construction Completed
- Sep 2013 - Structural, Mechanical, Piping Construction Completion
- Sep 2013 - Practical Completion Achieved
- Oct 2013 - Commissioning and Start of Production
CP2 - Marine Facilities
Comprises onshore mineral products receival, a minerals storage shed and load out facilities, a conveyor system, wharf and ship loaders with an interconnecting jetty.
- Jul 2012 - Earthworks Started
- Sep 2012 - Storage Shed Foundations Started
- Oct 2012 - Marine Works Started
- Jul 2013 - Storage Shed Completed
- Aug 2013 - Marine Works Completed
- Oct 2013 - Ship Loader Installed
- Feb 2014 - First Shipment of Minerals
CP3 - Power Line and Substation
The package comprises a 14km 132kV power transmission line connecting the Galu Substation to the mine site and a terminating substation and distribution system on site.
- Aug 2012 - Wayleave Cleared
- Sep 2012 - Tower Foundations Cast
- Sep 2012 - Towers Erected
- Oct 2012 - Overhead Line Completed
- Mar 2013 - Substation Installed
- Apr 2013 - Line Energised
CP4 - Mukurumudzi Dam
This package comprises an 8.8 million cubic metres water storage dam on the Mukurumudzi River with associated spillway. The earth embankment is 22 metres high with a span of 350 metres.
- Jan 2012 - Site Clearing Started
- Mar 2012 - Diversion Culvert Downstream Section Completed
- Sep 2012 - Longitudinal Coffer & Embankment Foundations Completed
- Oct 2012 - Diversion Culvert Completed
- Nov 2012 - River Diverted Through Culvert
- Apr 2013 - Culvert Closed & Installation of Outlet Works Started
- Jul 2013 - Embankment Construction Completed
- Aug 2013 - Spillway Completion
CP5 - Tailings Storage Facility
The purpose of the tailings storage facility ("TSF") is to receive and store the slimes fraction after separation from the ore. The TSF comprises walls constructed from the process waste sand, penstocks, settling ponds, a water recovery system, and return water pumping system. Initially embankments will be constructed to close off natural valleys.
- May 2012 - Clearing Embankments Started
- Jun 2012 - Embankment Construction Started
- Sep 2012 - Starter Works Completed
- Nov 2012 - Settling Ponds Construction Started
- Nov 2012 - Piping Installation Started
- Jun 2013 - Main Embankment Construction Completed
- Aug 2013 - Under Drainage & Penstocks Completed
- Aug 2013 - Settling Ponds Embankments & Spillways Completed
- Oct 2013 - First Slimes Deposited
CP6 (a) - Mine Access Road
8km sealed road linking the mine site to the A14 coastal highway and widening of the highway at the junction.
- Nov 2011 - Clearing Started
- Dec 2011 - Layer Works Started
- Apr 2012 - Culverts Completed
- Sep 2012 - Base Stabilisation Completed
- Sep 2012 - Prime Coating Installed
- Oct 2012 - Asphalting Started
- May 2013 - Road Completed
CP6 (b) - Construction Camp and Shared Facilities
Construction of the contractors' camp, catering, temporary power, water, fuel and other support facilities.
- Feb 2012 - Contractors' Yard Mobilised
- Apr 2012 - Diesel Tank Farm Completed
- Jun 2012 - Contractors' Camp Completed
- Jul 2012 - Solid Waste Disposal System Completed
- Aug 2012 - Entertainment Area Completed
- Oct 2012 - Kitchen & Messing Facilities Completed
- Oct 2012 - Temporary Facilities Commissioned
WP1 - Owner's Projects
The scope comprises procurement of the mobile mining fleet and the dozer trap mining unit, construction of the borefield as a supplementary source of water supply, topsoil stripping, process plants commissioning spares and first fills.
- Nov 2011 - Mobile Mining Equipment Ordered
- Jul 2012 - Borehole Drilling Started
- Apr 2013 - Mobile Mining Equipment Delivered
- Jun 2013 - Borefield Pipeline Installed
- Jun 2013 - Mine Pre-stripping Completed
- Aug 2013 - Dozer Trap Mining Unit Installed
- Sep 2013 - Borefield Completed